- In the News
- Wall of Fame
- Thank Yous
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT COMMITTEE OF SAN MATEO COUNTY
MINUTES of March 14, 2011
The quarterly meeting of the Veterans Employment Committee of SM Co. was held at the Peninsula Works EDD office, San Carlos, CA, Winter Conference room. The meeting was called to order at 3:30 PM.
Present: Sheryl Shaffer, Chairwoman; Helen Wong, 1st Vice/Treasurer; German Alvarado, EDD and veteran Jarome Vahai. Excused: Jim Blank, EDD; Jeff Young, County Service Officer and Arnel Junio.
TREASURER’S REPORT: The report was given and it is on file.
German Alvarado introduced us to one his veteran clients, Jarome L. Vahai. Jarome Vahai presented his plans to work with Tesla Motors in Palo Alto and Green Technologies to present “Operation: Electric Car” event at Skyline College on April 22. He has coordinated with Tesla recruiters to be at the event to interview veterans for their many positions which will be opening for building their electric cars. Jarome was most impressive and he is inspired to help veterans to gain meaningful jobs in San Mateo county. He is working with Skyline College to get their automotive department to offer training in the building and repairing of electric cars. He also will contact the Dept. of Labor to ask them to consider electric car repair as a training program for veterans. They plan to have an Earth Day event at Skyline College on
- Sheryl said she submitted a grant to AMVETS California Service Foundation to continue the production costs of the VHV TV series and that it had been approved.
- It was decided to keep San Mateo VEC on the web for presence
- TV Show: Sheryl will be doing a show on the “Barstow Veterans Home” on Tues. She has done so many shows to put on tv.
- There is no MOU with the Vet Center in Redwood City so the Vet Reps can’t offer services there.
- When the EDD office closes (tentative date of March 31), the Vet Reps will have to be outsourced somewhere.
- Upcoming events: March 15 - Tuesday TV Show – In studio at the Media Center, 900 San Antonion Road, Palo Alto, CA. Rolls in about the “Barstow Veterans Home.”
April 12 – AMVETS Legislative Day in Sacramento..
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 5:00PM
Next meeting: June 20, 2011 and the location to be determined. If the EDD office in San Carlos is open, we will meet there.